2009 was the first year that I focused more on running than on distance walking. Some good and bad came of that. I experienced a lot of illness the first nine months of the year. I think a lot of that came from work related stress experienced during the period when my boss was on bed rest and maternity leave. Work was a real challenge during that period and I put in a lot of time and effort to try and cope with the additional load. I also experienced a lot of injuries – possibly due to the increased focus on running. However, I can now say that I am addicted to running and feel that I can really claim to be a runner, something I never thought I would truly claim.
Highlights of the year include:
- 1600.14 miles logged as running in 2009. Up from 1279.98 in 2008. In addition there were lots of cross training miles that I did not log.
- My longest training run ever. 35 miles from Sandy, Utah to Provo, Utah. This was self supported. I also set a PR for covering 50K during that run.
- My first attempt at a 50 miler in March. It ended at 27 miles with my first DNF due to severe IT Band pain in the left knee from wearing compression shorts that compressed things they should not have. On the bright side – the shorts did help heal an abdominal tear that was potentially building to a hernia.
- Piriformis issues that resulted in a DNS for the Ogden Marathon in May.
- The blessing of helping my sister finish her first triathlon because I was not running Ogden that day.
- Sherpa details during training runs with Marion and Luzy Lew and full blown Sherpa duties for Marion in her first marathon, the Utah Valley Marathon. Even helping Marion out, I ended up with my second fastest marathon ever.
- My toughest race ever – the Logan Peak Trail Run. A 28 mile run (okay – crawl and walk with occasional running) up and around Logan Peak. 9 hours and 14 minutes of stress and struggle. A real challenge, but something I am really proud of finishing.
- Becoming one of the Red Hot Pink Chicks and participating in the first ever Red Hot Pink Chicks Half Marathon in July.
- My first run starting at midnight with Melinda Aaron in the Midnight Moon Run 5k.
- The Park City Marathon for my third time ever and seeing friends throughout the race. Having my sister alongside me the last 5+ miles.
- Pushing too hard after Park City and getting a meniscus injury and hamstring tendonitis that caused me to miss the Top of Utah Marathon and St. George Marathon.
- Being envious of Leslie Peterson completing our 50 mile dream before I did.
- Hiring a running coach to try and work towards my goal of qualifying for BOSTON in 2011.
- Achilles Tendonitis causing me to spend lots of time on a stationary bike.